Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hello Readers,  Today I wanted to go over Gertie's Butterick Shelf Bust Dress Pattern, Butterick 5882.  I have purchased this pattern and it is on my to do list.  I was thinking about how it would look on a plus sized person and I believe that it would look better if the strap was below the bust rather than transecting the middle of the bust.  The pattern is made to be sewn with the strap cutting across mid bust.  To achieve the below shelf bust look, if you will, the scoop needs to be dropped down below the bust and the front bodice needs to be moved below the bust as shown in the photo of Elizabeth Taylor.  Simplicity 4704 is a similar pattern to Butterick 5882, but you can see that the band goes below the bust instead.





You'll notice that in Elizabeth Taylor's photo that the top pleated or ruched bust panels come down half way on her bust rather than starting at the top of her bust.  I think this is also a better look for a plus-sized figure because if the cups start at the top or higher on the bust nearer the neck, then the cups look sort of ungainly or like a person is trying to be super modest.

This is the fabric I plan on using for the modified Butterick 5882 pattern:
Click here if you would like to buy this fabric.  I bought it from FabricEmpire on Etsy.com.  It is 58 inches wide and is $3.99 per yard.  It is a crisp polycotton and launders well with no bleeding or shrinking that I could tell.  I'm going to use a solid red polycotton for the contrast - really similar to the model picture.  I really liked that look.  Also possible and also for sale by FabricEmpire is the same or similar fabric with a black background instead.  See it HERE.

  

I will need to do some work to modify the front bodice and the pleated bust panels.  I think the bust panels might fit me from a previous modification I did.  For help with this pattern the best source is the designer - Gertie!  See her blog tutorial for this dress HERE. Once on Gertie's blog you can search for more tutorials on this dress.

Do you think that this dress would look better on a plus-size figure with the band below the bust, more like Simplicity 4704?  Or do you think it would look better just the way it is?  Let me know!  I would like to hear from you and see what you think!  

Thank you for reading to the end!

1 comment:

  1. I've just made a muslin of this bodice and ive got no boobs to speak of but I agree, transecting the bust with the shelf is weird. I'm about to try and figure out lowering the whole front. Did you ever go on and do it?

    ReplyDelete