Tuesday, September 18, 2018

New-to-me Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic Rocketeer Sewing Machine is Back!

Hi!  Recently, I got the new-to-me Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic Rocketeer Sewing Machine back from the Singer Sewing (Repair) Center.  Yay!  They only charged me their normal fee for cleaning, oiling and lubing - $69.95.  Also the owner, Jeff, had found me one of those used plastic cases that fits the Singer 500A or 503A and sold it to me for $25.00. 

The one they sold me has a lot of marks and scuffs here and there, but now I have a carrying case and it did not cost $100.00 plus!


They are very nice in that shop and the sewing machine is working---now!  I had some problems with the original foot pedal so I bought a new foot pedal and now the sewing machine is working properly.  Now I need to learn more about how to use this great machine.  Cosmetically it has some dings and chipped paint here and there.  I'd really like to paint it the light pink color, but I really hesitate as I don't want it to get ruined after waiting for it to be put in working condition for so long.

When I first got the machine, the stitch selector knobs would not turn, the hinge was broken on the nose plate, the bobbin cover kept falling off and it had a terrible smell.  I didn't run it long enough when I first got it to realize that the foot pedal had problems in that the button would get stuck in the down position and just not stop running!  Very scary and dangerous!

The replacement foot pedal is one of those generic brown ones that is a simple rectangle shape with some springs for $41.09.  I bought it here.



The model number is 618776-007.  It is very important that you look at the pictures carefully and make sure that the part that plugs into the sewing machine is the exact hole configuration!  Otherwise it just won't work.

Ruffler attachment.  I had separately purchased a box of attachments from a person on eBay.  All the feet seem to work except for the Ruffler attachment.  I attached the Ruffler, #160629, and although it fit on the presser foot bar, it was loose on the needle bar and when the needle came down it would only come down half way and would go no further.  It hit metal on the bottom of the Ruffler attachment.  This was disappointing.


Now I will need to buy the correct Ruffler for the Singer 500A and according to the "List of Parts - Machine No. 500A" that Ruffler is #161561.  The difference I can see off hand is the #161561 Ruffler has the adjustment screw in a different place.  I imagine that the metal plates below are in a different configuration.


I purchased an overedge foot and a set of two slant sewing machine foot adapters.  I got one of the adapters to work with the snap on overedge foot.  I found out recently that one needs to have the correct snap on adapter to work with the Singer 500A.  If you try to use the low shank adapters or any low shank snap on feet they just won't work.

 
 

 

 This video on Youtube was very helpful. 

 Hope this information helps someone out there.  What are your experiences with the Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic Rocketeer?  Let me know at kathiego88 at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment