Monday, April 3, 2017

DITTOS JEANS, THE 1970'S ICONIC WOMEN'S PANTS

Hi Everyone, Today I'd like to talk about Dittos Jeans.  Not the modern, Frankie B version with the below the waist treatment and weird pockets, but the original, high-waisted, twill fabric Saddleback pants with flare or bell bottoms from 1974.
 *******************************************************************************
[Disclaimer:  I found these images on the world wide web and I am using them just for informational and educational purposes here.  If you are the owner of the images and would like me to take them down, then contact me at kathiego88 at gmail dot com.]
*******************************************************************************
Online I've witnessed that many Baby Boomers out there remember these pants from their high school or junior high school days. The ads said "feel the fit" and were quite suggestive.  There was one ad you can still find online that has a woman taking off an outer pair of jeans to reveal a pair of Pink Dittos underneath.  You had to wear these pants as tight as possible for the best effect.  There were a number of different styles as well.

The most popular Dittos Pants were made of a medium weight, brushed cotton twill that just got softer and smoother with every wash.  They had a snap, (British term:  Popper), instead of the top button.  They all had a fly front with metal zipper.  They all had a high waistline.

Fabrics used:  Medium weight, brushed cotton twill, corduroy, light weight or thin cotton denim, thin gauze.


A possible sewing pattern for the Saddleback Dittos Jeans, the only one I've found that comes fairly close, is the McCalls 5182 Carefree Patterns below.  With small adjustments here and there, such as removing the point from the back of the saddle and not doing the rainbow side seam treatment and pocket this pattern is essential a pair of Dittos Jeans.  Also rather than having the saddle seaming going down the outside seam you would need to move it to the center back instead, while you should be careful to follow a kind of curved shape as seen in the original pair above.  You can see this is a unisex pattern right from the front of the envelope so it is fine for women as well.



Saddleback colors:  Light lemon yellow, White, Baby Pink, Baby Blue, Light Mist Green, Light Gray, Black, Brown, Tan, Medium Red, Burgundy, Forest Green, Coral, Teal, Medium Blue


Bareback pants:  These had no saddle just the seam in the back.  Colors:  Light Lemon Yellow, White, Baby Blue as in the photo, Baby Pink, Tan



Highrise pants:  These were similar to the Saddleback, but the saddle part came higher nearer the waist line, wider towards the hips and had a point in the back for this design.

Highrise pants colors:  Red, White, Light Lemon Yellow, Baby Blue, Mist Green, Brown, Burgundy, Forest Green - there may be others that I don't recall right now.



Side Saddle jeans:  I never saw this type that was not made of a thin, washed cotton blue denim.  The only picture I have for these is the Simplicity Pattern 7093 which is not quite an accurate idea, but it does have the side saddle seaming.  The side saddle seaming part went higher on the hips.  The front was interesting.  It had the side-slit or hidden, in-seam pockets, like on a coat, and several European pleats for a trouser look along with a 1 1/2 inch wide waistband with the jeans type of non-sewn copper or brass button and the heavy brass zipper fly front.  There were also heavy brass zippers at the ankles and these jeans were not flared at all, they were tight fitting skinny jeans!  The idea behind the Side Saddle Dittos Jeans was to make the person's hips look narrower.  At about the same time as the Side Saddle Dittos Jeans came out was the invention of the Earth Shoe.  The Earth Shoe quickly died as it was impractical to wear.  These were mostly in a rust suede leather and were lace up shoes.  They had a higher ball of the foot part and a lower heel part.  The sole was a light cream colored rubber.

Colors for Side Saddle Jeans:  A medium to light wash, thin, light-weight cotton denim and black/charcoal.





Chevron:  I saw this type of Dittos very rarely and I believe they came in near the end of the run in the later 1970's.  They had essentially no waistband and a Chevron like design at the back.  There were two buttons on the front.


Double Chevron:  I never saw this type in person, maybe this type was worn in Europe?

I'm hoping to make a pair of the saddle back jeans when I can - health allowing.

Hope you like my post and let me hear from you!

Email me here

Kathy


14 comments:

  1. There are the comfortable jeans for women on sale at store www.20880.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dittos were the best. I've been trying to find a pair again because I miss them so much. So hard to find the true saddleback style.
    ~Athena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the baby blue ones with no side saddle. My favorite pair of all. They were the most comfortable pair of jeans I have ever had. Wish they would come back in style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had lots of saddle back Dittos in the 70s. I found the side saddle pattern on ebay, but they are in size 10 or 12, which is a really small size, probably a modern 6. Maybe I will try to draft my own from a pants pattern that fits me well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post, If you are looking for some trendy women's ,men's and kid's online boutique with a multitude of styles and fits, colors then you may visithttps://www.jignov.com/women/shapewear.html which providing the largest online ethnic wear outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is very beautiful and different, all the jeans are very good looking, thanks for sharing this.Contact us for take these service:

    Web Design Company

    Website Development Company in Delhi

    Website Designing Company in Delhi

    E-commerce Website Designing Company in Delhi

    SEO Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny story...in 1976 a girl friend and I were walking in a park in Glendale, CA. She was 19 and wearing a pair of tight fitting Ditto's. A young boy, probably about 12, came up to her and asked if the jeans she was wearing were Ditto's. She said yes. He then had the audacity to say "Can I feel the fit?". We laughed till we almost cried!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter, 21 yo, LOVES Dittos. She has been collecting them in her size. Has over 20 pairs, a few with actual paper tags on them (never worn). She recently found a cool Ditto jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Grandfather was the President of Jolene Ditto Corporation, in Provo Utah. My sisters and I would go visit every summer and tour the factory- we could pick out 3 pairs each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I had NO idea that Dittos were based in Utah! It's a little bit weird that Mormons are responsible for designing THE most flattering, and might I add SEXIEST, women's pants ever made! Utah, AKA "The Mother Ship" as most folks around here in my small northern California farming community that was settled by Mormons, tend to call it. There are TWO LDS churches in my town of 5000 souls, one on the south-west side of town and one on the north-east side of town, with a total of FIVE wards between the two churches. To this day one cannot fling a dead rat without hitting a Mormon in my town.

      Delete
    2. My grandparents were from Orange County, Ca. They moved to Pleasant Grove Utah in the 70’s.

      Delete
  10. I was surprised to hear that this was a California phenomenon. I assumed the whole world had Dittos like me. LOL

    ReplyDelete